The Church of the Good Shepherd was organized in 1870. For several years its meetings occurred in a Thomas Street storefront located where the Carlton House now stands. The foundation of the church building was laid in 1873. It is the oldest church building still in use in Rocky Mount and, with its long history of civic and social involvement, is in the forefront of the city's most historic buildings. Its land and structure have expanded numerous times over the intervening century-and-a-half, resulting in the sprawling complex we see today. The heart of the property, however, remains as it always has been -- the old church itself, with its widely recognized beauty and character. It is not a museum but an active, working church, serving every day like the rest of its structures in support of the Christian mission of Good Shepherd.
The Buildings and Grounds Commission is the administrative body charged by the Vestry with the care and improvement of the Parish's real estate. The Buildings and Grounds Commission takes a hands-on approach. Much of the work is done directly by volunteers and commission members themselves. There are seveal advantages to doing that when possible, including a higher level of communication with others who use the facilities, better control of the results, greater respect for the Parish's high standards of historic preservation, and lower costs. Where that is infeasible, the commission contracts with various professionals for specialized work.
A subdivision of the commission, the Grounds Committee, focuses on the churchyard. Its activities include landscaping, maintenance, outdoor support facilities, and planning for the beauty and utility of the gardens and greens that are important parts of the church.
The convener of the Buildings and Grounds Commission is Dillon Rose. The Vestry liaison for 2013 is Al Hicks. Should you have questions, suggestions, a wish to join this vital ministry or any other interests, please do not hesitate to get in touch with Al or any commissioner, either directly or through the church office.